To have your ducts cleaned or to not have your ducts cleaned – that is the question! Duct cleaning has been a popular service for some time now. BUT, is it needed, when do you need it, and how important is the cleaning are all valid questions to consider. In most cases, a thorough cleaning of your ducts is linked to indoor air quality concerns; however, ducts can also be cleaned to improve the efficiency of your HVAC unit. Here are 6 different scenarios in which contacting a HVAC professional to schedule the cleaning might be beneficial:
- Renovation: Anytime your house has been remodeled or if any harmful contaminants (i.e. asbestos, lead paint) were present it’s a good idea to follow up with a duct cleaning. If ducts aren’t sealed off during renovations, dangerous debris can enter the ductwork and remain trapped.
- Mold: If mold is visible outside the registers it is a good idea to have your ducts cleaned. Visible mold on the outside could mean bigger troubles deeper in the ductwork.
- Animals: Animal or pest infestations found inside your ductwork is another situation which should be followed by a duct cleaning. These pesky critters can carry bacteria or build troublesome nests inside which can cause multiple problems in the ducts.
- Contaminants: If you are seeing debris, hair, or other contaminants being released from registers into your room it may be a good time to have your ducts cleaned. Trapped contaminant particles become an issue when they start excessively entering your home and affecting your indoor air quality.
- Illness: One of the most talked about reasons to have your ducts cleaned is due to illness or allergies. If an unexpected allergy related illness pops up and everything else has been factored out, it may be time to call a HVAC professional to determine the root cause in your ducts.
- Upkeep: According to the Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service 90% of HVAC system failures are caused by dust and dirt. Be sure to stay up-to-date on the cleanliness of your ducts in order to keep your system operating at its full potential.
The question of whether or not to have your ducts cleaned is one that is frequently asked in the HVAC industry. Just remember, should you decide to forgo cleaning your ducts, contact a professional for more insight or to schedule a trustworthy and qualified expert for the service. BELOMAN (618) 235-6626
Like, Follow, & Check Us Out On Social Media!