The Silent Killer

When you think of things that can make you sick you likely think of the flu or massive outdoor pollution.  What you probably don’t think of is carbon monoxide, which can make you even sicker than the flu–it can kill you if you’re exposed to high enough amounts.  Exposure to small amounts of carbon monoxide can mimic other illnesses such as food poisoning or the flu with nausea, headaches, and dizziness.

Carbon monoxide is invisible, tasteless, and doesn’t have a scent, so it’s impossible to tell the level in your home by just using your senses.  Detectors are the only way to know for sure if there are above-normal levels and should be taken seriously if it goes off.  Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased at hardware stores, online, or directly from us inexpensively, so there is no reason not to have at least one in your home.  

Minus a very select few exceptions, Carbon monoxide detectors are required in all living spaces in Illinois within fifteen feet of bedrooms.  Specific requirements and more information can be found here.

Carbon monoxide is produced by vehicles, gas furnaces, stoves and a myriad of other places where combustion takes place.  Because of this, you should never warm up a vehicle in a garage attached to living quarters or use the fireplace without proper ventilation.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get fresh air and seek treatment immediately.  Also, it’s a good idea to regularly have all fuel-burning appliances inspected regularly by a trained technician to ensure there aren’t any leaks.  If you have any questions about carbon monoxide detectors, give us a call and we’d be happy to answer them.  We can be reached at 618-BELOMAN or